The International Center was established in year 1998 as an independent unit by the University of Mysore to promote a global perspective in the teaching, research and outreach programs of the University. The Center works in close collaboration with the postgraduate departments and colleges affiliated to the University of Mysore and also other academic and research institutions, which have linkages with the University. The University of Mysore has envisioned the International Center as a Single Window that would cordinate all the International affairs of the University.
The University of Mysore has emerged as a universally acclaimed educational hub in recent times, and its international student strength has been rising in recent years. Home to 1300 international students drawn from 50 countries across the world, the University’s academic image and an ambience that s perfect to the reckoning for the pursuit of knowledge have made it a globally sought after educational destination.
The University of Mysore has entered into academic collaborations with the following institutions :
- American Institute of Indian Studies ,New Delhi
- Berlin Technical University , Germany
- Huanghuai University, China
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations, Govt of India
- Kingston University U.K
- Ministry of Education, Government of Seychelles
- Ministry of Secondary Education, Republic of Maldives
- University of Lumeire Lyon2, France
- University of North Texas, Denton, USA
- University of Rovira I Virgili , Tarragona(Espana), Spain,
- University of Science and Technology, Omdurman,Sudan
The International Center is committed to providing appropriate support services to international faculty and students in such matters as eligibility assessment, admission, obtaining relevant visas and residential permit, student placements, establishing linkages with suitable institutions and helping freshers to connect with fellow citizens. The Center also disseminates information on study abroad opportunities and avenues for academic collaborations to faculty and students of various university departments and colleges.The Center functions as a liaison between students, academic institutions, faculty, University offices, Diplomatic Missions, Government Departments, Police and other law enforcing agencies.
The International Center has put in place certain systems, which could well be termed ‘best practices’. These include:
- Conducting Orientation Programmes for all freshers
- Issuing International Student Identity Cards with details of Passport, Visa, Institutional Affiliation and Contact Information
- Hosting International Cultural Evenings in different locations in the University and at other cultural forums in the city.
- Maintaining a Database on all international students in the University of Mysore
- Conducting specially designed courses in Asian and European languages and performing arts in collaboration with university departments
- Sponsoring Inter-Country sports events
- Networking with FISA-M (Federation of International Students Associations, Mysore) to create a common platform for all international students to meet and discuss issues of common concern and interest
- Launching the Forum for International Friends of the University of Mysore
- Preparing an Advisory containing information on all important issues related to international student admissions that serves as a 'Ready Reckoner' for institution heads, faculty and University administrators
- Organizing Open House events showcasing educational opportunities in other countries
Mentoring Workshops for those applying for international fellowships